Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tastes of Fall



When you think of Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter what are some of the first thoughts going through your head? For me I think of the food during that time, Thanksgiving brings mouth watering memories of hearty helpings of green bean casserole, and Easter dozens of deviled eggs, it does not get any better than that. Just as holidays make me think of the wonderful foods I will partake in seasons do as well. Winter is full of hearty meals that will fill you up and take the edge off of the winter chill, Summer is full of grilling, non-oven meals and scrumptious salads and fall is full of hearty soups, and the tastes of the season; pumpkin, squash, and lots and lots of apples.

{Zucchini + Oatmeal}


I whipped up some Zucchini Bread Batter Oatmeal for breakfast. I've been meaning to try this recipe for a while now, it's been book marked & on my "must try" list for a month now. I was a bit hesitant about this recipe, who has ever heard of mixing an egg into their oatmeal? Don't worry the recipe didn't disappoint it was tasty and filling. I think there really might be something to mixing a beaten egg into oatmeal.


{Ginger Molasses Cookies}
For some reason this recipe makes me think of fall, a spice filled ginger filled goodness and great to dip in your coffee or tea. My family is quite fond of Molasses cookies. I grew up on my Grandma Sweetie Pies iced cut out molasses cookies that her boys still beg for today. At some point along the way she discontinued making them, and in stepped my mom who found a wonderful recipe that you roll in swedish pearl sugar and started making these for her family.

When I stumbled upon this cookie recipe in the latest Taste of Home magazine I knew I had to try it. The recipe was unique and different because of a few of their ingredients, now don't be scared, it's alright - but a few of their unique ingredients are cayenne pepper, white pepper and cardamom. The "special" ingredients set off the cookie just right and help the spice of the ginger and molasses come out. To finish off the cookie you roll it in turbinado sugar giving it just the right crisp, to the outer edge of the cookie and a glitter like shine.

I knew these were a winner after taking the first bite. I've now made this recipe twice and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.  I brought a HUGE container of these cookies to share with Fiery C & Curly Locks when we went up north, they were a huge hit I came home with an empty container. 

Recipe can be found here


What reminds you of Fall? What are the tastes of your season?

No comments:

Post a Comment