Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ice Box Cake

When I stumbled across the icebox cake recipe at Smitten Kitchen I knew I just HAD to make it. Mine did not look nearly as pretty as SKs did but it was quite tasty. 



My mom use to make this a lot when I was younger, it always reminded me of a ice cream cake. Mom's version was more of a "loaf" version like seen on the package below. Basically you use chocolate wafers and whip cream. SKs version had you making your own whip cream... there is totally a time and place for making your own whip cream. But let me tell you - that time and place was not my kitchen a few days ago. 

Sk has wonderful directions but you alternate between laying down your wafers and then topping with whip cream. May sound simple and weird but totally worth the 15 minutes it takes to make. 


The only downfall to this fast, quick and easy 'cake' is the fact that you have to let it freeze overnight. My brother LOVES this cake and gave it an A plus if that helps you make your decision :)



No comments:

Post a Comment